The market town of Altrincham – Cheshire is located in the Metropolitan Borough of Trafford in England. The Trafford Metropolitan Borough is part of Greater Manchester. Altrincham is located 16 kilometres from eastern Warrington, 5 kilometres from the southwestern part of Sale, and 13 kilometres from the southwestern part of Manchester city. The scenery around Altrincham is comparatively flat.
Established in 1290, Altrincham was once a part of Cheshire. Around this time, the economy of Altrincham relied on agriculture. Up to this day, farming is nevertheless a major activity of the Altrincham community. The market that was established in 1290 is nevertheless being used. The construction of the Bridgewater canal brought a lot of development to the town. Growth in population and settlements began soon when construction of the canal started in 1765.
The introduction of the railway line in 1849 provided further expansion, and soon many industries began to sprout. The expansion reached villages in the outlying areas of Altrincham. The Dunham Massey Hall became a part of Altrincham as development increased. The Massey Hall has been turned into a tourist location with its upgrading to Grade 1 building position. The Hall is the former residence of the Earl of Stamford. A deer game park has been integrated near the Hall.
Altrincham has grown into a big town, thanks to its road and rail network. The town is serviced by the Metrolink, and most of the population are middle class. The middle class population has been steadily rising since the nineteenth century. The town hosts a number of sporting clubs, namely Altrincham Football Club, Manchester Phoenix and the Elite Ice Hockey Club.
Altrincham has a lot of historical significance. Existence of human activity has been traced back to prehistoric ages. Archeologists discovered arrowheads of the Neolithic era. The place is a high source of historical artefacts, with many discoveries having been found in Dunham and Trafford. Ruins of Roman roads passing by Broadheath have been found. Broadheath is a location in Altrincham. After the permanent Roman invasion of Britain in the 5th century, the town was known as “Aldringeham”. This is translated to “homestead of the Aldrere’s people”. During this time, Britain was ruled by the Anglo-Saxons. The name has changed over time, but by the late nineteenth century, the modern name “Altrincham” was being used interchangeable with the name Altringham.