Cancelled Trip: Can Travel Insurance Help?
Imagine yourself flying to South Korea to finally watch a K-pop girl group for the first time, in person. The concert ticket was bought and you’re ready to catch the fever and enjoy this rare and exquisite musical experience. Unfortunately, upon arriving to Seoul, you were informed that for a certain reason, the concert won’t push by.
What if you are attending a Digital Start-up Conference in Berlin, but before you board the plane, you were informed that for a number of reasons, the organizers were prevented to set up and it cannot push by.
In situations of events cancellation, travel insurance can definitely help as it offers coverage for cancelled events.
For a claim to be valid, the following conditions should be met:
- The event cancellation should be beyond the control of the insured.
- The event cannot take place before your flight back to your home country.
- The organizer should provide a written confirmation that the event was cancelled.
There are two (2) circumstances that can occur when availing this insurance coverage. These are:
- Event was cancelled before departure – If you were informed before travelling to the venue, the maximum sum insured per person shall amount to £400 for Unused Event Tickets and specific limits as indicated in the insurance policy that covers unutilized travel arrangements such as flights, accommodations, and excursions, in addition as other additional travel expenses associated with the trip.
- Event was cancelled after arrival at the country/city of destination – For this case, up to 50% of the travel costs and seven (7) days of accommodation will be covered by the insurance policy.
Since this is an additional cover, do check if your standard or comprehensive policy has this characterize. If it doesn’t, you can always contact the insurer to include this characterize.
It’s noteworthy that your claim cannot be considered if the event is re-scheduled before your flight back home. Also, the insurance should only indemnify those that are not reimbursed by the organizers. The claim also doesn’t include costs of food and drink, as these are regular, recurring, everyday expenses.
To experience an event cancellation, specially one you have financially and emotionally (considerably) invested in it can be heart-breaking. That’s why it’s worthwhile to ensure that we are able to retrieve our pre-payments upon the occurrence of this cancellation and one can do that by the buy of the right travel insurance policy with event cancellation cover.