An air freshener sold at Walmart has been recalled due to the fact it contains a scarce bacteria that has been connected to at the minimum one death, officials said.
The Better Homes and Gardens basic Oil Infused Aromatherapy Room Spray with Gemstones has the “scarce and dangerous” bacteria Burkholderia pseudomallei, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Tuesday.
The bacteria causes melioidosis, also known as Whitmore’s disease, “a condition that is difficult to diagnose and can be fatal.”
A cluster of melioidosis infections has recently killed two Americans, including a child, according to the CPSC.
Four people in four different states were infected, authorities said. A bottle of the spray was found in the home of one of the victims in Georgia, according to the agency.
The agency recalled nearly 4,000 five-ounce glass bottles of the spray after the product, made in India, was sold at more than 50 Walmart locations — and was listed on the store’s website.
Authorities urge anyone in possession of the spray not to open the bottle or attempt to throw it away. Instead, customers should double bag the dangerous product, put it in a small box, and bring it to a Walmart store.
Any surfaces that were exposed to the product should be sanitized, the CPSC said.
Click: See details